This page outlines the process for interested brethren to seek outreach opportunities. The full steps in the process are listed in the flow chart below. We will discuss the first 3 steps in more detail here:
- Home Elder Counsel
- Application & Selection
1st Step - Called by the Holy Spirit
A call to outreach service may take place several ways; it will not be the same for every brother, sister, or couple; but the impetus must always be the Holy Spirit.
- Submission to an inner calling of the Holy Spirit. Isaiah 6:8 “Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.”
- Submission to a calling of expressed need - Some will hear about a specific need that has been expressed by HarvestCall that aligns with the gifts God has given them. After prayer, they may begin to feel the Holy Spirit’s call and direction to respond to the needs.
Acts 16:9 “And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us.”
- Submission to a calling as commissioned by leadership brethren - Others might receive their calling when leadership brethren, prompted by the Holy Spirit, “call them out” after seeing the demonstration of a heart and the appropriate spiritual gifts needed for a specific mission or ministry.
Acts 13:2 “As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.”
Acts 6:3 “Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.”
2nd Step – Home Elder Counsel
Searching your Heart
- Counting the cost – Have you spent time talking with other missionaries about the difficulties of separation and other tests different than those experienced in your current environment?
- Demonstrated passion for outreach – Are you currently participating in local outreach ministries; do you regularly witness to your unsaved neighbors, co-workers, etc.
- Victorious living – Are you living an overcoming life? Is there unconfessed sin, or are you currently struggling with besetting sin in your life?
- Relationships – How do you get along with your family, church brethren, co-workers, etc.?
- Submission – Have you demonstrated a submissive spirit in regards to church leadership and doctrine? Are you willing to submit to senders and to those directing your mission?
- Motives - Why do you want to be involved? Whose glory are you seeking? Are you running away from any God-given responsibilities at home?
Recommendation - After appropriate prayer and counsel, recommendation by the home elder will be required as a prerequisite to applying to HarvestCall in order to begin the Application/Selection Process.
3rd Step – Application & Selection
The candidate (s) or home elder will contact the Outreach Selection Committee to begin the formal selection process consisting of:
- Missionary Pre-placement Questionnaire - A standard questionnaire has been prepared for all brethren interested in serving the Church with outreach.
- References - Candidate will have a minimum of three individuals complete a personal reference form.
- Interview Process - Following a review of the completed questionnaire and references, the Outreach Selection Committee will meet to evaluate the candidacy. If an interview is appropriate, the committee will schedule with the candidate.
- Final Decision - The Outreach Selection Committee will issue a recommendation regarding approval of the candidate for service. The OSC will coordinate with HarvestCall and candidates home Elder on the recommendation. A final decision to send a prospective candidate is dependent on specific outreach needs and availability of support funds. The candidate will then be notified of the decision.
Brethren with a calling to serve or that have questions regarding the process should contact the Outreach Manager: